The Official Star Trek Convention returns to Las Vegas for the 11th year on August 9-12 at The Rio All-Suite Hotel. For the 20,000 expected attendees the big draw is the on-stage appearances of over 80 Star Trek celebrities including “The Four Captains”: William Shatner (Kirk), Avery Brooks (Sisko), Kate Mulgrew (Janeway) and Scott Bakula (Archer).
Fans have the chance to not only see the stars on stage but to meet them personally at parties, autograph sessions and photo opportunities. Thousands are expected to come dressed as their favorite Star Trek characters, donning outrageously intricate costumes that take months to prepare.
With 726 Star Trek television episodes produced and 11 feature films, the convention has 46 years of history to celebrate and the joy of meeting fellow “Trekkers” from scores of countries and every state in The U.S. is a big dynamic of the gathering. Monica Gillen, spokesperson for Creation Entertainment, the production company behind the event, said, “The Las Vegas Convention is all about celebrating the positive and hopeful message that Star Trek represents with its acceptance of diversity and a future where humans get along with each other. That and grabbing a drink in the bar with a blue Andorian kind of makes it special.”
Some of the highlights of the Star Trek Convention include:
- The “Four Captains On Stage Together!” (Sunday)
- The 25th Anniversary Reunion of the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Saturday)
- Avery Brooks in a full musical concert performance (Saturday)
- World’s Record Attempt at most people in Star Trek Costumes at one place, we broke the record last year with 1040! (Saturday at 12:00 PM at the Brasilia Ballroom)
- Costume Contest – See the best in the galaxy! (Saturday, 8:45 PM, Main Theater)
- Breakfast with Original Star Trek Stars Walter Koenig and George Takei (Chekov and Sulu) (Sunday)
- Star Trek Stars Rene Auberjonois and Ethan Phillips in a comedy performance (Thursday)
- For the kids, glue guns & phasers: craft workshop. Activity is free and supplies will be provided!
General admission tickets are available in advance (www.creationent.com) or at the door for $35 on Thursday and Friday, and $40 Saturday and Sunday. General admission tickets for children 12 and under are $25. Children under six are admitted free when accompanied by a parent or guardian. Show hours are Thursday, 10:30 AM – 7 PM, Friday, 10:15 AM – 7:00 PM, Saturday, 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM and Sunday, 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM.
For further information, call Creation Entertainment, 818/409-0960, or visit our website at www.creationent.com.