The Mob Museum, The National Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement, announces its roster of public programs and promotions for July and August.
All Museum programs require registration. For more information and to register, visit www.themobmuseum.org/events/.
Howard Hughes, Las Vegas and the Mob: Fact vs. Fiction (This event is sold out, but a waitlist and a live stream are available.)
- Date: Wednesday, July 22
- Time: 7 to 8 p.m.
- Location: To watch a livestream of this event click on the “Watch” button here at 7 p.m. To be added on the waitlist click here.
- Cost: Free for Members and with Museum Admission.
Description: The Mob Museum’s Vice President of Exhibits and Programs, Geoff Schumacher, author of a newly revised and expanded biography of Howard Hughes, will discuss the myths surrounding the billionaire’s profound effect on the community and the Mob’s hold on the Las Vegas Strip. The Mob Museum is providing a live streaming of the presentation.
July Cocktail Special: Clara Bow
- Date:July 10 to July 31
- Location: The Underground speakeasy and distillery, located in the basement of The Mob Museum.
- Description: Clara Bow was a popular 1920s actress and flapper whose look influenced a generation of young women. In honor of her birthday, the Museum is featuring the Clara Bow cocktail, a mix of bourbon, lemon juice, elderflower liquor and grenadine. The cocktail is available all day in The Underground for $12.
Operation Summer Camp
- Date: July 6 to July 31
- Time: From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m.
- Location: Online.The virtual summer camp details are available here.
- Cost: Regular price is $150 per camper and member price is $125.
- Description: “Operation Summer Camp” is a live, Museum educator-directed virtual program offered as daily, 3-hour Zoom sessions plus additional activities to be completed at the campers’ leisure. Campers’ days will include icebreaker activities, small-group sessions, videos, light physical activity, experiments, special guest experts as well as self-motivated activities designed to be completed throughout the week. The Mob Museum is offering two camps targeting different age groups:
- “Operation Investigation” is appropriate for campers age 10 through 14 years old where activities each day will focus on a different topic, including how to build a case by collecting evidence, analyzing DNA, fingerprint examination, trace evidence collection, witness interrogation and more.
- “Operation: Forensic Science” is recommended for campers 12 through 16 years old. Each day will focus on a different topic, including crime scene investigation, death investigation, fingerprint analysis, firearm and bullet examination, DNA analysis and more.
Special Agent Kit for Operation Summer Camp
- Date: Throughout July
- Location: Online. Purchase a kit here.
- Cost: $65 per participant.
- Description: The activity kits are designed forparticipants to complete on their own time. Every kit includes videos, online scavenger hunts, instructions for science experiments and more, as well as weekly optional virtual check-ins with educators and other campers to review their kits and projects. The kit, recommended for ages 10 and up, includes two activities for campers to complete each day, such as videos, online scavenger hunts, instructions for science experiments and other fun activities. Educational topics covered in this kit include crime scene investigation, fingerprinting, DNA analysis, undercover police work and more. The “Special Agent Kit” may be mailed or picked up at the Museum.
Virtual Community Safety Forum: The Science of COVID-19
- Date: Friday, July 24
- Location: Online. To watch this virtual forum click here.
- Cost: Free
- Description: In the ninth installment of The Mob Museum’s community safety forum virtual series, the discussion will focus on the unique challenges Las Vegas faces while responding to COVID-19. Local epidemiologist Brian Labus explains why experts decided to shut down the Las Vegas Strip and instead stress social distancing guidelines. The forum will also cover the prospects for therapeutic medicines and vaccines, and what it’s like to work on an outbreak of this scale. This event is sponsored by NV Energy.
Untangling the Web: The Kennedys, the Mob and Las Vegas
- Date:Thursday, August 13
- Location: In the Historic Courtroom.
- Cost:Free for Members and with Museum Admission.
- Description: For brothers John and Robert Kennedy, the connections to Las Vegas ranged from sex to politics, including a government investigation threatening to shut down the city. Las Vegas historian Michael Green will explore the complex historical webs linking the Kennedy family, organized crime and local politicians.
To ensure the safety of staff and visitors, all guests are required to wear face coverings and will receive a complimentary bottle of FDA-approved hand sanitizer, produced in the Museum’s distillery, while supplies last. All personnel of The Mob Museum have a comprehensive operational plan to follow which can be found here.
For more information, please call (702) 229-2734 or visit themobmuseum.org. Admission to the speakeasy is included with general Museum admission and is free for patrons using the daily password found on Instagram stories @MobMuseum_Underground at either the lobby podium or side entrance.