The Underground, the Prohibition history exhibition at The Mob Museum, the National Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement featuring a speakeasy and distillery, announces special promotions, programs and events for May (The Rock and Rye at The Underground. Photo credit: The Mob Museum).
Among this month’s events, on May 11, The Underground will host a special event as part of Vegas Uncork’d by Bon Appétit. Guests will have the opportunity to participate in a speakeasy tasting and distillery tour. Click here to purchase tickets.
Kentucky Derby LISTENING Party
- Date: Saturday, May 4
- Time: 1 to 4 p.m.
Description: In the spirit of the 1920s—before the invention of television—The Underground will host its first-ever “Kentucky Derby Listening Party” on May 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. A live audio broadcast of the 2019 Derby will be streamed during this event; post time is scheduled for 3:50 p.m. Pacific Time. Guests will also enjoy $10 Maker’s Mark cocktails and enter a Superfecta contest for the chance to win a private party in The Underground distillery. Must be 21 and older to attend. This event is sponsored by Zappos and Maker’s Mark. Free entry at the speakeasy side door with password “Bourbon.”
Raise a Glass to the Past: A Speakeasy Tasting and Distillery Tour
- Date: Saturday, May 11
- Time: 9:30 to 11:30 p.m.
- Cost: $100; tickets available here.
- Description: Travel back in time to the Prohibition era for a tasting and tour at The Underground during Vegas Uncork’d by Bon Appétit. Guests will be transported by the taste of spirits smuggled by mobsters decades ago as they sample a variety of classic cocktails, new moonshine flavors from the Museum’s own onsite distillery and delicious passed appetizers while listening to live jazz, exploring eye-opening exhibits, and learning inside stories from expert educators.
Mother’s Day Weekend Special
- Date: Friday, May 10 to Sunday, May 12
- Time: 9 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Cost: Mimosas will be available for $8. Non-alcoholic cocktails available for $5.
- Description: It’s no secret mobsters love their mamas. Former FBI agent Joe Pistone (aka Donnie Brasco) was once told by a Bonnano crime family member that the Mafia “closed for business when Mother’s Day arrived each May.” Of course, The Underground is always open for Mom!
- Date: Fridays and Saturdays
- Time: 7 to 11 p.m.
- Description: Jazz Nights feature local talent performing to rave reviews in The Underground’s 1920s-inspired ambiance. Performing in May will be Nik at Night (May 3) performing classics from greats such as Tony Bennet, Nat King Cole and the chairman himself, Frank Sinatra; The Old Fashions (May 4, 11, 17, 31), which blends the best of the jazz and blues worlds with sounds from Sinatra to Armstrong; Kai Brant, who performs jazz, blues and pop classics (May 10, 11); and Amanda King, who combines the best of the jazz and cabaret worlds by applying her creative interpretation of the words, the music and the swing (May 18, 25).
- Date: Mondays
- Time: 9 p.m. to midnight
- Description: Each Monday, The Underground speakeasy and distillery hosts Industry Night. Nevada service industry professionals will receive 20 percent off their tab and free Champagne. Must show valid employment ID to redeem this offer.
- Day/Time: Beginning Wednesday, May 1, an expanded distillery tour schedule will go into effect. The tours will be offered Monday through Friday at noon, 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. and weekends from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every 45 minutes.
- Cost: $12
- Description: During these tours, which are available as an enhanced experience with the purchase of a deluxe or premier pass and include a sampling of a variety of distilled spirits, participants receive an in-depth explanation of the distillery equipment and distillation process and learn about Prohibition. In addition to learning about the historical origin of Prohibition and the drinking culture that existed before the 1920s, guests have the chance to take part in a spirit-tasting experience of house-distilled moonshine, vodka, as well as The Underground’s Jamaica ginger-infused moonshine. The Distillery Tours are designed to encourage visitors to develop an appreciation for the flavor of moonshine—especially since The Underground’s moonshine is as authentic as it can safely get. It is made in-house with 100 percent corn and bottled at 50 percent ABV. In addition, all visitors to the Museum may purchase souvenir bottles of Museum spirits in the speakeasy during these hours.
- Date: Sundays through Thursdays
- Time: 5 to 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. to midnight.
- Description: Enjoy 20 percent off select craft cocktails, draft beer and wine by the glass.
For more information, please call (702) 229-2734 or visit themobmuseum.org. Admission to the speakeasy is included with general Museum admission and free any time for patrons using the daily password found on Instagram stories @MobMuseum_Underground.