The world’s first Polar Journey exhibit, located adjacent to Shark Reef Aquarium inside Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, has extended its run through September, 15 2019. The popular, interactive experience has entertained and educated more than one million guests since it debuted in March 2017.
“Polar Journey provides curious guests an up-close look at a vital part of our world, the Earth’s polar regions and the animals that call them home,” said Adrienne Rowland, director of animal care at Shark Reef Aquarium. “Visitors discover the many fascinating aspects of these regions, and we expect they will walk away with a greater appreciation for their importance to our planet.”
Polar Journey offers eight interactive scenes for guests to explore:
- Ice Caps: Guests are placed in reclining seats under a dome screen, transporting them to the Arctic and Antarctica through an engaging and informational film.
- Mesmerizing Jellies: Visitors are captivated by the beauty and grace of three species of jellies from the frigid waters of the Arctic. The interactive display reacts as guests approach for a closer view.
- Swarming: Guests are invited to play a quiz game at Penguin Info Terminals where penguin robots demonstrate how animals survive in the polar regions by acting as a swarm.
- Feeding Krill: Families get in touch with underwater polar creatures by engaging with an interactive wall projection. Kids can explore further by virtually feeding krill to the animals and seeing the response simulated by stunning artistic movement.
- Ice Fractures: Guests view the effects of climate change by journeying over floating sheets of ice in the deep blue sea with ice cracking beneath their feet, creating stunning formations.
- Sea Explorer: This CGI, 270-degree panoramic view, motion ride experience allows guests to travel to the Arctic while feeling as if they are immersed in a submarine.
- Polar Science: Media-based interactive games provide players information about the polar regions in an entertaining way. Visitors can listen to Arctic sounds in special cocoon chairs, take a photo with simulated polar bears and challenge each other through memory games.
The exhibit is a partnership between Shark Reef Aquarium and Attraktion!, Austria’s leading developer of technology-based attractions.
Polar Journey is open through September 15, 2019 Sunday – Thursday, 9:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. Last admission is 30 minutes prior to close.
Shark Reef Aquarium is open Sunday – Thursday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. – 10 a.m. Last admission is one hour prior to close.
Tickets pricing and information for Polar Journey and Shark Reef Aquarium are available by calling (702) 632-4555 or visiting mandalaybay.com.