Special Olympics Nevada (SONV) will partner with numerous Las Vegas-area community organizations to host the inaugural SONV Health Fair for children and adults with intellectual disabilities from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday Sept. 22, at Bishop Gorman High School.
The SONV Health Fair will feature a variety of health disciplines and screenings, along with entertainment and activities, offered 100 percent free of charge. The event is open to all interested individuals with intellectual disabilities (and their families) in the Las Vegas Valley – participants do not have to be involved with Special Olympics to attend.
Health screenings will be conducted by trained medical professionals in a fun and engaging environment. Disciplines will include:
- Health Promotion, which provides tips on how to improve and maintain good health and nutrition
- FUNFitness, which provides screenings on flexibility, balance and functional strength
- Special Smiles, which provides dental screenings and personal oral hygiene instruction
- Strong Minds, a relaxation and anxiety training to help maintain emotional wellness
- And MedFest, which offers sports physical examinations. Participants who are not yet Special Olympics athletes, but who are interested in joining the program, can register and take the required physical through MedFest on site.
Other activities at the SONV Health Fair will include food trucks, sports skills stations, raffles and prizes, entertainment and more.
The SONV Health Fair is an extension of the Special Olympics Healthy Athletes Program, which offers free health screenings at various competitions throughout the year. Individuals with intellectual disabilities often face obstacles in maintaining their best health – whether it be due to lack of information, limited resources or physical limitations. Special Olympics, the largest global public health organization for people with intellectual disabilities, and its community partners are dedicated to supporting these individuals to live their best lives and succeed – both on and off the playing field.
Community partners supporting the SONV Health Fair include the UNLV School of Dental Medicine, Southwest Medical Center, Touro University Nevada, The Garden Foundation, Gracie’s House, Las Vegas Athletic Club, New Vista and Best Buddies Nevada. Registrations and more information is available at www.SONV.org/HealthFair.