On Sunday, May 6, hundreds of girls will take an inspirational step by participating in the 2018 Girls on the Run Las Vegas 5K Run/Walk at the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
A favorite event for locals and students across the city, Girls on the Run’s (GOTR) 6th annual run will bring in a large group of volunteers and participants seeking to empower girls to activate their limitless potential. Shared among teams across the valley, the 10-week character-building program is aimed at enhancing self-esteem and increasing healthy lifestyle choices. The event is sponsored by Health Plan of Nevada.
“Girls on the Run Las Vegas has seen tremendous growth in participants and sponsors moving into our six-year anniversary,” says Executive Director Brigette Kirvin. “With everything going on in today’s society, it’s necessary to empower these girls and help them recognize their power while embracing their differences. I’m privileged to see our program inspiring confidence in young women to achieve their dreams.”
Girls on the Run is a nationally recognized youth-development program that inspires young girls to build self-confidence, teamwork and independent thinking through physical activity. This season, the local council has continued to expand the transformative program, serving girls in 3rd through 8th grades.
The race will include:
- Cheer zones along the course filled with girls’ families, their teachers, school administrators; UNLV Athletic teams; Gamma Phi Beta sorority members; and local dignitaries
- Special visits from a collection of mascots including The Coca-Cola Polar Bear, UNLV’s Hey Reb! and Health Plan of Nevada’s Dr. Health E. Hound
- Race Warm up led by Power Hour 360’, Dr. Health E. Hound and UNLV athletes
- The Sparkle Zone – An area to glitz and glam the program participants with colored hairspray glitter paint and “Star Power”
- “Selfie Station” sponsored by Findlay Chevrolet featuring car cut-outs and positive messaging
Registration is now open for the 5K: $35 for adults and $15 for children under 18. Registration increases to $40 for Adults and $20 for children after May 1. The participation fee includes a GOTR cinch bag, a commemorative 5k medal and refreshments. GOTR superhero capes and cowbells will also be on sale at the merchandise tent, with all proceeds supporting the company’s scholarship fund.