Local runners and walkers will lace up their shoes to support over 450 elementary and middle school girls at the Girls on the Run Las Vegas 5K Run/Walk on Sunday, April 17 at Kellogg Zaher Sports Complex.
The celebratory 5K is a culminating experience that gives volunteer running buddies, family members and the local community the opportunity to help Clark County girls memorialize their achievement of a 10-week character building program aimed at enhancing self-esteem and increasing healthy lifestyle choices.
“We are so proud that our spring 2016 season marks our largest enrollment to date,” says Brigette Kirvin, Executive Director of Girls on the Run. “We have doubled the number of young girls we serve in the community this year and have also expanded our program to reach middle school students. The 5K race is a wonderful celebration of accomplishment and a memorable moment as we acknowledge their hard work and transformation into confident young ladies.”
Girls on the Run (GOTR) is a nationally recognized youth-development program that inspires young girls to build self-confidence, teamwork and independent thinking through physical activity. This season, the local council achieved the largest growth in the chapter’s history, serving 455 girls in 3rd-8th grades, and doubled last season’s enrollment. In addition to the expansion in size, Girls on the Run Las Vegas increased its curriculum offering to address middle school girls. Named “Heart&Sole,” the program addresses aspects such as mind, body, spirit, brain and heart.
The race will include:
- A pre-event dance party featuring a high energy DJ
- The Sparkle Zone – An area to glitz and glam the program participants with colored hairspray and face painting
- “Selfie Stations” that include a large running shoe designed by a middle school participant
- Special visits from a collection of mascots including The Coca-Cola Polar Bear, UNLV’s Hey Reb, Astro from the Las Vegas 51s and Frozen’s Elsa
- Support from local groups such as Dignity Health, Gamma Phi Beta sorority, Bishop Gorman cheerleaders and the Las Vegas Junior League
- Food sampling from Shake Shake and The Popcorn Girl
- Refreshment Zone support by presenting 5K sponsor The Coca-Cola Company
Registration is now open for the 2016 Girls on the Run 5K: $35 for adults and $15 for children under 18. The participation fee includes an event t-shirt, a commemorative 5k medal and refreshments from The Coffee Bean, Rachel’s Kitchen, Crazy Pita and water and recovery drinks from The Coca-Cola Company. GOTR superhero capes and cowbells will also be on sale at the merchandise tent with all proceeds supporting the company’s scholarship fund.