Get Your Motors Running as RC Boat Racing Takes Over Lake Las Vegas
May 3, 2011 by VegasNews.com
Hundreds of members of the North American Model Boat Association (NAMBA) will descend on Lake Las Vegas for a weekend of remote controlled boat racing.
NAMBA, an association that celebrates 40 years in existence this summer, will welcome racers from all around the country, and some international, for this weekend of racing.
Fun Facts about the race:
- A starter boat will run about $500-$700, but these pros will be racing boats which can be upward of $3,000 each
- Some of the classes of boats reach speeds of 70, 80 and 90 MPH
- There are three types of motors raced in NAMBA races – gas, nitro and electric
- There are up to 16 classes of boats at any one race weekend with 35-40 boats per class
- Each boat has a driver and a “pitman” – the pitman places the boat in the water and once the boat is in place, joins the driver to navigate them through the course and any obstacles that arise
- Each city has a different altitude, so just as you would any other type of racing event, racers will utilize an “open water” practice day to tune their boats
- Anyone can enter the race for the ultimate reward – bragging rights!
Saturday, May 14 & Sunday, May 15
8 a.m. Races begin on the water at Lake Las Vegas
(There is an “open water” practice on Friday, May 13)
Cost to watch the races is free and open to all ages. If interested in racing, the race fee is $10 per boat and $5 per boat for those 18 and under. Additionally, racers must have the proper licensing which will provide racers with coverage throughout 2011 at $45 per person and $25 per person for ages 18 and under.
Lake Las Vegas (racing takes place just on the West side of the lake, across from The Village)
Henderson, NV 89011
For rules and additional information regarding the races, please visit www.namba19.com. For additional information about The Village Lake Las Vegas, please visit www.thevillagellv.com.
© 2011, VegasNews.com. All rights reserved. All content copyrighted or used with permission. All rights reserved. This content may not be distributed, modified, reproduced in whole or in part without prior permission from VegasNews.com.
Now you can Follow VegasNews.com on Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ and Twitter!